Is digital marketing for you?
Are you looking to break into the exciting world of digital marketing? Have you been told that you’re a good storyteller? A good ‘people-person’? Good with numbers? Creative?
If so, then a career in digital marketing could be a path for you.
7 Steps to starting your career in digital marketing.
Here are some steps you can take to increase your chances of landing a job in this competitive field.
- Start by building a strong foundation in digital marketing principles and strategies.
This will help you understand the basics of marketing, including consumer behavior, market research, and the development of effective marketing campaigns.
- Develop your writing and communication skills.
Digital marketing involves a lot of writing, whether it’s creating engaging social media posts, crafting compelling email campaigns, or developing effective website content. Strong writing and communication skills will help you succeed in this field.
- Learn about the latest digital marketing tools and technologies.
This field is constantly evolving, so it’s important to stay up-to-date on the latest tools and platforms. Some examples of popular digital marketing tools include social media management platforms, email marketing software, and analytics tools.
- Get certified in digital marketing channels.
Many companies prefer to hire digital marketers who have been certified by a professional organization, such as the Digital Marketing Institute or the Content Marketing Institute. These organizations offer a range of certification programs, so you can choose the one that best fits your career goals.
Helpful low-cost / no-cost digital marketing certifications to consider:
* Google Fundamentals of Digital Marketing
* Meta Digital Marketing Associate Certification
* Ahrefs Blogging For Business Certification
* HubSpot Academy of Certifications
- Get hands on digital marketing experience.
Getting certified is only the start. Applying what you’ve learned into real world situations and campaigns can help you develop valuable digital marketing experience…even if you are working for free just to gain the necessary experience.
Options for getting hands-on digital marketing experience:
* Acadium.com – Apprenticeships with real businesses
* Internships.com – Options for paid entry-level working options.
* Parker Dewey – Micro-internships for all levels of professionals.
- Build a portfolio of your digital marketing work.
As you gain experience, create a portfolio of your best digital marketing campaigns and projects. This will give potential employers a glimpse of your skills and abilities.
- Network with others in the digital marketing field.
Attend conferences, join industry groups, and connect with other digital marketers on social media. This will help you build relationships, learn about job opportunities, and stay up-to-date on the latest industry trends.
By following these steps, you can increase your chances of landing a job in digital marketing. Whether you’re just starting out or looking to advance your career, a job in digital marketing can be a rewarding and exciting opportunity.
Stay connected to inspiring stories, career tips, and resources from marketing professionals in every industry and discipline by subscribing to The Marketing Careers Podcast.